Friday, September 18, 2009

Blog #3 Maltz, Daniel N., and Ruth A. Borker. "A Cultural Approach to Male-Female Miscommunication."

I definitely had an "aha" moment reading this chapter. Thinking about it, girls do build relationships by sharing intimate secrets but also "break up" because those secrets were later told. I remember my sisters were best friends but that all ended my younger sister told my dad that my older sister had a boyfriend which was forbidden at the time.
I can relate to "men's speech" because after a hard long day of work or physical activity, it's always nice to just relax and joke around with friends. This however does not work with my girlfriend. If my girlfriend and I ever do something that is physically demanding or mentally demanding together I often time just want to relax and sleep while she on the other hand wants to reflect and talk about it. This is a reoccuring problem and I believe it has to do with exactly what this chapter states. Women often want to share everything while men are more laid back and don't really care too much about getting their feelings out there.

1 comment: