Sunday, October 18, 2009

blog # 10 Tannen, Deborah. “The Relativity of Linguistic Strategies: Rethinking Power and Solidarity in Gender and Dominance.”

In my relationship with my girlfriend and other females in my life such as my mother and sisters, the one common time in which I am the subordinate in these relationships is when we're cooking or doing house chores. In the case of me and my girlfriend, the person I currently live with now, she's usually the boss when we are cleaning or cooking. This is one of the rare times where what she tells me to do gets done with little or no questions ask. I usually don't question her authority during these times because I know she performs these tasks more commonly than I do and therefore know better than me. We do however switch roles when it comes to her helping me get something assembled or when we're planning a trip somewhere. I'm usually much more decisive than she is and better with handling the finances of the trip so she usually does what I say in these situations.

1 comment: