Sunday, October 18, 2009

blog #9 Holmes, Janet. "Complimenting--A Positive Politeness Strategy."

The examples here remind me of the treatment my older brother use to give me. Whenever he wanted to get under my skin or remind me that he was the older brother and therefore was superior to me he would make me do stupid little tasks like picking up after his dirty laundry or commanding me to grab him a beverage of his choice. He would always repay my acts of kindness with a sarcastic "thank you" as to say "haha sucker you do as I please." Like what Holmes talks about I think these compliments are more degrading than they are positive. I think guys are uncomfortable with giving or receiving compliments because thats seen as being polite and being polite is seen as not being manly. Thats why in the example Holmes gives about the rugby players they scold and call each other names to get hyped and bond. Showing your sensitive side to a man makes you less manly.

No comments:

Post a Comment